Scheiwer Bowling Heritage
Pete Scheiwer, The Patriarch of the family started in the bowling business with four lanes and a pool room during WWII in Wesleyville, PA. In 1946, he owned and managed the very successful Commodore Lanes in downtown Erie. After it burned down in 1951, he and Fred Potter managed three 8 lane centers, Blocks Lanes (Erie), Park Lanes (Lawrence Park) and Grape City Lanes in North East, PA.
A new partnership was formed in 1960. Al Sitter, Fred Potter, and Pete Scheiwer built the 36 lane Hornell Bowl in upstate new york. In 2002 it closed down. In 2003, Bill Scheiwer JR and two partners remodeled it and it re-opened as Maple City Bowl with 32 Lanes.
In June of 2009, Bill Scheiwer JR and Dave Schultz opened Legacy Lanes on Curry RD. in Pittsburgh, PA. It includes a pro shop, trophy business, sports bar, snack bar, restaurant, and a lazer tag game room.
The fall leagues will begin in September 2009.